Cyberattack continues to stall business in city of Atlanta


Source: WGCLSource: WGCL


Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms says teams of city IT experts and outside companies are still trying to diagnose what happened during the cyberattack that has crippled the city’s computer systems and left business at a standstill.

The computers at City Hall are still turned off and experts believe the hackers gained access to computers systems through a remote portal.

The attack continues to cause all kinds of problems and is frustrating people who are trying to conduct business with the city. It’s a big pain for people like Eulises Wimberly, who needed to take care of business at municipal court.

“They didn’t tell me anything. They just gave me this piece of paper here to reschedule my appointment again. I feel kind of bad because I had pay $30 for someone to bring me from Lawrenceville over here,” said Wimberly.

Wimberly isn’t the only one running into problems. Lauren Downer and her husband just bought a house and had to do everything the old fashioned way.

“My husband and I closed on our house Friday,” says Downer. “We had no water, the web site was down all weekend so we had no choice but to come in and ask to get our service turned on.”

Downer was able to physically fill out the paperwork needed for new service but it would’ve been much easier had the city website been operable.

City officials, including Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms insist that critical systems that the police and fire departments use have not been affected so far but many other services are not available.

The mayor likened the cyber crisis to the water infrastructure crisis under Mayor Shirley Franklin’s administration, saying the digital infrastructure needs the same kind of emergency upgrade. The city’s computers have been idle except for those that can run off of hotspots and bluetooth. Everything else is pen and paper.

In addition to the FBI and Georgia Tech, the city has enlisted the help of an Atlanta-based computer company. They’re still trying to determine how the hacker got in. Even if they paid the ransom, they don’t know where the attack started. And that could mean attacks could happen over and over again.

Also, the mayor says there’s no evidence that anyone’s personal information has been compromised.

Copyright 2018 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Source link